Tuesday 4 December 2007

Living life on purpose

I should have decided to be a missionary YEARS ago! I've been told my whole life that every Christian is a missionary, yet somehow...having an official visa with "missionary" stamped under occupation has made me live life differently. What can I say? I'm always a bit behind.

One thing that has changed about me is being conscious of living life intentionally. What I mean by that is attempting to build relationships with anyone I come in contact with. It's SO hard, but is turning into a fun game for me :) When I go to the local grocery store, I try to be in the same person's line (Sue is her name), and I try to frequent the same places at the same time each week (you can find me hanging out with "The Jacket Potato Man" in town center during lunch hour once a week or so...yummm!). It's fun to try to create quick, memorable moments for each of my unsuspecting contacts. I have to admit, it's probably easier in a different culture, because the moment I open my mouth, I hear: "Wow, YOU'RE not from around here!" followed by the imminent "why on earth would you move to England from FLORIDA??" conversation. Haha!

Other than sharing short moments with local shopkeepers, I'm trying to get involved in community work and clubs that have absolutely nothing to do with church. Over the next month, I'm going to be visiting homeless shelters, retirement homes, reading to the blind, working in a charity shop, attending a salsa dance lesson (yikes!!), and taking an improv comedy class. All of these things scare me, and put me WAY outside of my comfort zone. I think that mostly it's that good kind of scary feeling that often comes as a side-effect of extreme excitement! This is my way of trying to go to "their" turf, if you know what I mean. This isn't one of those "invite people to church" cultures, and if I can't get someone to GO to church, then I guess I have to bring church to them. So, here I am...trying to be the church. Even in the midst of a salsa dance lesson...I can't even type that without laughing!

Please pray for me as I attempt to get involved in these areas. I specifically ask that you would pray for my social skills, as strange as that may sound! I can be very shy at times, and am often an awkward wallflower when put in uncomfortable situations. I don't have time to be awkward! Building relationships takes time, and I really want to jump right in and get to know the right people at the right times.

I want to leave you with a challenge to do what I neglected to do for the first 24 years of my life! Dare to be bold, and dare to be a missionary in your city! Do something that scares you to death for the sake of the Kingdom :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey. im really proud of you. youre awesome!

Anonymous said...

Crystal!!
Hey girl! We miss you around here!

I couldn't help but read this and think- "That's the kind of thing, as Christ followers, we should be doing everywhere!" Often times I've excused my lack of sharing my faith with: "I don't meet nor am I around any non-Christians." Being in ministry that is the case. I mean, I work and am around CHRISTIANS all day! :-)
But what you reminded me of is of the need therefore to be creative! I loved your grocery mart illustration and getting in the same line to build a relationship. And salsa dancing! Go girl! In fact, I think I'll use your blog on this in our next "Growing Strong - Mission" class.

Just wanted to thank you for your posts and tell you Deb and I are praying for you!!

Melissa said...

this is definitely something i've been re-evaluating in my own life lately... the idea of living intentionally, in regard to relationships, time and even money and food. Christ pretty much lived His life as one big divine appointment, so shouldn't it be the same for us?

thanks for the challenge, crystal:)